Ioannis P. Vlazakis is an artist who specializes in heraldry and
illuminated manuscripts inspired by the western medieval
tradition. He has painted many coats of arms for several
families in Greece and abroad, as well as personal blazons.
He has created logos for foundations and companies and
has illustrated books.
He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre Studies
from the National Kapodistrian University of Athens and has
received a Master of Arts degree with distinction in Theatre
and Visual Arts Studies from the same university. He also
holds a second Master of Arts degree (Insigne Mestre em
Arte Heraldica) from University Lusofona Humanidades E
Technologias (ULHT) of Lisbon.
Finally he holds a Doctorate on Art & Religion from Logos University FL – USA (Member
of the UN Academic Impact).
Mr. Vlazakis is a Craft Member of the prestigious “Society of Heraldic Arts UK” (SHA) and
member of the Board of Directors of the “Heraldic & Genealogical Society of Greece”
In 2016 Ioannis Vlazakis was elected as “Gateway Chronicler King of Arms” to the Royal
Sultanate House of Sulu and the North Borneo.
Awards as an Artist
• Unesco Award 2014 for his contribution to Fine Arts in Greece.
• Award by the Municipality of Tripoli (Greece) 2014, for supporting the nomination of the
city as the European Capital of Culture 2021.
• Grand Cross of the “Ordem do Grao –Mestre Principe Dom Afonso De Portugal” By the
Portuguese Association of the S.M.O.M. for his artworks under the title: “The Coat of
Arms of the Portuguese Grand Masters” – 900 years Anniversary of the Sovereign
Military Order of Malta – Azores 2013.
• Decorated with the Golden Medal of the “Sociedade De Geografia De Labor Cientifico”
by the Geographical Society of Lisbon for his artworks on the Coat of Arms of the
Portuguese Explores of the 15th Century – Lisbon 2013.
• Decorated with the “EIIR Diamond Jubilee” for his artwork: “A Diamond Jubilee” 2012.
• Decorated with the “OttoKreuz” for his artworks on the Habsburg Heraldry – Vienna
• Decorated with the «Gold Medal of Arts & Sciences» by the Albert Schweitzer
Organization Vienna 2011.
• Award by the Prefecture of the city of Arta. Athens 2009.
• First Prize in painting by the Parnassos Art Society 2009.
• Honorary Diploma from the “Society of Greek Literaries” 2009.
Other Memberships and Awards:
• Grand Cordon Order of Pearl – Royal House of Sulu – Philippines.
• Grand Cross Menelik – Ethiopia.
• Commander to the Military Order of St. Sebastian (called of the Arrow) – Portugal.
• Knight Franz Josef Order – by HIRH Sandor von Habsburg Lothringen Austria.
• Knight of the Aranysarkantyus Vitezi Lovagrend (Order of the Golden Spur) – Hungary.
• Hollabrun Cross by HIRH Sandor von Habsburg Lothringen – Austria.
• Honorary Member of the «Academia International De Heraldica Portugal».
• Correspondent Member of the «Instituto Dom Joao VI».
• Honorary Member of the «Academia Portuguesa de Ex Libris».
• Honorary Member of the Society of Serbian Armigers.
– Jan. 2019 «Luminarie». The Attic Gallery. Corfu.
– June 2013 «Great Portuguese Explores of the 15 Century» Museum of the Sociedad De
Geografia De Lisboa.
– June 2013 «The Coat of Arms of the Portuguese Grand Masters of the Order of St.John».
Exhibited after an invitation by the Soberana Ordem Militar De Malta S.M.O.M.Church
Sant’ Anna – Azores.
– Nov. 2011 Altes Rathaus – Wien (Old Town Ηall of Vienna).
– Nov. 2010 «Illuminations» General Greek Consulate in New York.
– Sept. 2009 «Magni Magistri 1305-1522» Rhodes. Held at the Neohellenic Art Museum of
Rhodes, in coordination with the 4th Office of the Byzantine Antiquities of the Hellenic
Republic. The exhibit welcomed over 160.000 visitors.
– Feb. 2009 «Tracing the Middle Ages» – Athens.
– Mar 2009 «Arta: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow» – Megaron, the Athens Concert Hall.
Under the auspices of the provincial government of the prefecture of Arta.
– May 2008 «2nd Annual International Medieval Art Festival in Rhodes».