Professor Stanley Sfekas was born in the United States.
After receiving his B.A. in Philosophy and English from the
University of Maryland, he went on to obtain both his M.A.
and Ph.D. in Philosophy from New York University.
His doctoral dissertation is titled: «The Problem of
Individuation in Aristotelian Metaphysics».
Sfekas has taught in various institutions of higher
education including Brooklyn College of the City
University of New York, The New York Institute of
Technology, George Washington University in Washington
D.C., and the American College of Southeastern Europe.
Stanley Sfekas has also published scholarly articles and books and has been a critic for
the American Philosophical Association and several international journals. He has been
the book critic for the international journal, Philosophical Inquiry. He has also been the
educational advisor to the Fulbright Foundation in Greece.
As a public lecturer in the Athenian academic community, Sfekas has delivered over 150
public lectures since 1986 and frequently appeared on Greek television as an academic
spokesman. Apart from his scholarly publications, he has translated, between 1995 and
the present, the scripts of seven historical lms and 35 archaeological documentaries.
He was also the philosophical consultant to various television productions.
Sfekas appeared in 12 televised episodes of the documentary program From Aristotle to
Hawking, a Paul Pissanos Production, speaking on Aristotle and Ancient Greek
Cosmology. The series that has been translated and distributed globally was nominated
by members of the Academy of Athens for the 2008 Templeton Prize. Sfekas is the
translator of the series from Greek into English .
• 1986 “Aristotle’s Principle of Individuation” published inApeiron, Monash University,
• 1990 “Aristotle on Individuation” published in Deucalion, Athens, Greece.
• 1990 Solicited book review for the American Philosophical Association. Published in
the APANewsletter on Computer Use, Law, Medicine, Teaching. Volume 89:3,
«The Wake of Imagination” by Richard Kearney, University of Minnesota Press, 1989.
• 1991 “Ousia, substratum, and matter.” In: Philosophical inquiry, 13 (1991): 38-47.
• 1992 Book review forPhilosophical Inquiry: International Quarterly of The End of Life:
The Case for Euthanasia, by J. Rachels, Oxford University Press
• 1992-1994 Book review editor forPhilosophical Inquiry: International quarterly.
Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece.
• 1994 Official translator and philosophical consultant of screenplay for film and
international television series: Orpheus and Eurydice starring Oliver Reed, produced
by P. Pissanos Co. World Premiere: Nov. 8, 1997, London Film Festival.
• 1995 Adaptation of screenplay (Greek-English) and philosophical consultant for film
and television series: The Gods of Olympus, produced by P. Pissanos Co.
• 1996 Adaptation of screenplay (Greek-English) and philosophical consultant for film
and television series: Deucalion’s Flood, a Pissanos production.
• 1996 “Aristotle’s Principle of Individuation”, published inDeucalion,
edited by A. Kitsopoulos.
• 1997 Adaptation of screenplay and philosophical consultant for film and television
series: Alexander the Great, a Pissanos production.
• 1997 Orpheus and Eurydice by Stanley Sfekas, a book adapted from thefilm starring
• 1998-1999 Adaptation of narrative (Greek-English) and philosophical consultant for a
series of archaeological documentaries on Greece for cinematic and television historical
productions referred to below under the auspices of the European Union Cultural
Commission (Pissanos productions)
1. THE ACROPOLIS OF ATHENS
2. THE PARTHENON
3. THE ACROPOLIS MUSEUM
4. THE ANCIENT AGORA
5. THE ROMAN AGORA
6. THE TEMPLE OF POSEIDON
7. THE ISLE OF AEGINA
8. THE PARTHENON MARBLES
9. THE FIREWALKERS
11. THE TOMB OF AGAMMEMNON
12. VISITING CORINTH
13. ANCIENT OLYMPIA
14. THE ORACLE AT DELPHI
15. THE DELPHI MUSEUM
16. MOUNT OLYMPUS
17. A WALKING TOUR OF THE PLAKA
18. EARLY GREEK COSMOLOGY 
19. FROM ARISTOTLE TO HAWKING 
20. EARLY GREEK MATHEMATICS 
21. ALEXANDER THE GREAT 
22. OLYMPIAD: 448 B.C. 
• 2004: Articles in the periodicalBusiness Partner, published by the American Hellenic
Chamber of Commerce:
1. Ethical Guidelines
2. Corporate Responsibility
• 2004: Translation of cosmological work “Το Επόμενο Βήμα της Δημιουργίας” by Ioannis
Tsatsaris. Epistos Publishing Company: The Next Step of Creation (Greek to English).
Submitted to Vantage Press.
• 2004: Translation of “Η Συλλογή του Πορταλάκη” by George Armaos (Greek to English).
The Portalakis Collection.
• 2005-2006: Translation of documentary television series: From Aristotle tο Hawking;
released Fall 2006. 12 episodes of 30 minutes.
• 2006: Translation of the book version of From Aristotle to Hawking. Interviewed on
Aristotelian Cosmology in Documentary Series: From Aristotle to Hawking In 12 episodes.
• 2011: The Laws of the Universe in Earthly and Heavenly Life by Paul Pissanos.